Yes, our province has frigid winters but we Manitobans know a thing or two about keeping warm. It’s no surprise that we’re on top of current trends, with local homeowners opting for newer technologies like heat pumps to keep our homes warm and cozy.
If you haven’t yet heard about heat pumps, you might be missing out on an affordable, environmentally-friendly way to keep your home comfortably warm in the winter and cool in the summer—all without breaking a sweat when it comes to energy costs. Here are just a few of the reasons that heat pumps are taking the HVAC market by storm:
- They’re highly efficient energy-wise because instead of actually generating heat, they transfer it from one place to another, meaning that they can extract heat from the air or ground and draw it into your house for a much lower cost than traditional heating methods.
- They’re very consistent, providing even heating throughout your home. Say goodbye to hot and cold spots!
- They offer dual functionality, both heating your home in the winter and cooling it in the summer months, eliminating the need for a separate air conditioning system.
- They’re a better alternative for the environment, producing fewer greenhouse gas emissions compared to traditional heating methods because they don’t rely on burning fossil fuels. In fact, they don’t even produce indoor air pollutants!
- They are low maintenance and exceptionally quiet to operate, so you won’t be saddled with extra costs or disturbed by noisy equipment.
- And we’ve saved the best for last … they’re cost-effective, both because of their energy efficiency but also because of the rebates and incentives that are available to homeowners like you.
Ready to get started with a heat pump? We’re making it easy by walking you through the steps you’ll want to take to ensure you take advantage of the rebates available to you. Whyte Ridge Heating & Air Conditioning is proud to be a registered Efficiency Manitoba contractor.
Find out if you qualify for a rebate through Efficiency Manitoba by referring to their specifications here. Rest assured that by choosing the reliable services of Whyte Ridge, you’ll be hiring a qualified installer who is registered with the program.
To qualify, you should choose a heat pump that’s been approved by Natural Resources Canada (we can help with that) and be replacing an existing electric furnace or boiler, electric baseboards, or a natural gas heating system. If you’re converting from fuel oil or propane, you might also be eligible.
Additionally, grant money is available at the federal level. Find out if you qualify for the Oil to Heat Pump Affordability (OHPA) Grant from the Government of Canada, which may provide you with up to $10,000, depending on whether your after-tax household income is at or below the Canadian median. Eligibility requirements are listed here.
This grant is paid upfront, meaning that qualified applicants will receive the funds in advance of their project. The grant money is intended to cover the purchase and installation of an air source heat pump system, as well as some associated eligible costs related to its installation. More information is available on the Oil to Heat Pump Affordability Program website.
Homeowners who don’t qualify for the OHPA program due to income levels have another alternative: the Canada Greener Homes Grant. Eligible home retrofits may qualify for grants up to $5000, with an additional $600 available for EnerGuide evaluations.
Space heating via the installation of a heat pump is an eligible expense under this program. You can find out more about heat pump installation by visiting their website here.
Additionally, financing options are available. If you’re looking to improve your home’s energy efficiency but require additional funds to do so, find out how you can access financing through Manitoba’s Home Energy Efficiency Loan (HEEL).
The Canada Greener Homes Loan also provides interest-free financing options for energy efficiency retrofits, to a maximum of $40,000. While it may require an investment to make these upgrades now, improving your home’s energy use will pay dividends in the long run by reducing your home’s energy costs.
With this many opportunities to save money—and the promise of more affordable home heating for years to come—heat pump installation is a great choice for Manitobans. Energy prices continue to rise and as we all face an affordability crisis, making considered choices like switching to a heat pump can generate substantial savings for your family that will continue to benefit you long into the future.
If you’re ready to start enjoying the savings offered by heat pumps, contact Whyte Ridge Heating & Air Conditioning today, and let’s get to work. Don’t miss out on your chance to take advantage of available grants to make the environmentally friendly switch to an affordable heat pump!